Friday, February 29, 2008

A good work in you.

The following comes from a devotional I sent by email to about 300 college students back when my son was away at school. This is an excerpt from an "e-votion" that I wrote in response to a student. I think it fits with the topic of how I can know that I'm a Christian.

_______

I received this message from a college student some time ago.

I have a friend who needs some help. We talked Saturday night about religion. He said he doesn't consider himself a Christian. He wasn't brought up in a Christian home, so he is "confused." He is very interested in religion of all types and feels that it is more of a philosophy than religion. I asked him if he believed in a heaven and a hell. He said that he didn't not believe in either of them but he just didn't know about them. He said he prayed , but on a different level (whatever that means). He doesn't understand how "Christians" can have a relationship and believe in something that wasn't physically there. I tried to think of something truthful and promising to say, but I couldn't really. I was stuck. His girlfriend was also there but left quickly...she is an extreme atheist. I didn't even try confronting her because I don't know her, and what in the world would I say? I feel I need to say something, but what? He seems very educated about the Bible and different religions, but he just didn't have faith in God and the relationship he needed to be a Christian. What could I tell him? Should I say anything?

How would you answer her? What would you advise her to do?

Here's the essence of what I told her.

The best evidence we can give a seeker for the existence of Jesus is our own testimony. There is proof of the reality of Jesus in the life of every believer. Some of you can remember your life before Christ, and you can definitely see a difference in your attitudes and your behavior. When Jesus comes into your life, He begins a good work in these ways.

1. You don't enjoy sinning. The Christian finds no pleasure in partying or "messing around." When we sin we are immediately convicted by the Holy Spirit.

2. You want to be with other Christians. We enjoy fellowship. True Christians like being with their family of faith.

3. You want to grow. You have a desire to spend time with God by reading His Word and talking to Him in prayer. You want to live a life that pleases Him.

4. You have a new attitude. When the Holy Spirit enters your life (which He did on the day you came to Christ), He begins to produce godly character in you. This is what the Bible calls the "fruit of the Spirit." These character qualities are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).

5. You have a desire to see others come to know Jesus. I remember a young man named Brian whom I helped lead to the Lord during my years in Hilton Head. The Lord did a wonderful work in Brian. It would have taken radical surgery to remove the smile on his face when he realized that his sins were forgiven. He was thrilled to know that He now had a new life, a life worth living and worth sharing. He told all his friends and family about what Jesus had done for him.

No comments: