Thursday, March 06, 2008

I don't get mad. I get even.

How many times have we heard someone jokingly use that expression? I confess: I have myself.

You may not have thought about it, but there is a place for anger. Jesus was not singing "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" when he cleansed the temple. He was righteously ticked off. The injustice being done by the moneylenders, who were ripping people off, caused Jesus to take a whip and clean house.

I get angry at injustice, which is an appropriate form of anger. But I also get angry sometimes behind the wheel, which is why I don't have a fish on my car. When I get steamed at someone else's driving I need to take care to deal with it appropriately.

It's okay to be angry, but it's not okay to stay angry. If we stay angry at someone or some situation, we run the risk of letting the anger fester until it becomes a bitterness that can consume us. The Bible warns us about not letting bitterness take root (Hebrews 12:15), because bitterness can have all sorts of painful consequences, including physical problems.

Here's a case in point. During my ministry years in Hilton Head a lady came to my office one day for pastoral counseling. As she told her story of how her husband had left her, and how they had split custody, with one teenage son living 3 states away with his dad, and the other son living with her, I could sense a real bitterness in her. Thus, it was no surprise that only months later she found out that she had cancer. I'm convinced that her bitterness had a connection to her malignancy. Now that's not to say that every cancer is caused by emotional issues, but I do believe that there's a correlation sometimes between negative emotions and illness.

On a positive note, this young lady got her life turned around thanks to a women's Bible study group that I pointed her to. The Bible study leader, Jane, took a personal interest in this young woman and prayerfully and carefully worked with her over weeks and months. As time went on, it was evident that her attitude had changed. The peace was evident on her face, in spite of the cancer that was consuming her. When the cancer finally won the physical battle, it was clear that this young lady had won the spiritual war and finally found the peace that passes understanding.

Paul knew that anger was potentially deadly if not addressed. He writes in Ephesians, Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don't stay angry. Don't go to bed angry. Don't give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life. (Eph. 4:26, The Message)

In his book, The 17 Essentials Qualities of A Team Player, author John Maxwell talks about the 24 hour rule. He says, "If you have any kind of difficulty or conflict with (someone), don't let more than twenty-four hours go by without addressing it."

So the application is this: Get mad. But get over it.

Blessings, y'all.

No comments: