Wednesday, February 20, 2008

From sinking sand

In the movie, The Princess Bride, the hero dives into a pit of quicksand to save the princess, who had disappeared from view. After several seconds, he emerges with her as they gasp for air.

Romans 5:6 describes how Jesus rescued us from the pit of sin and separation from God by giving his life for us. We were helpless and hopeless, going down for all eternity. But Christ came to our rescue, and called to us. As we reached our hand of faith toward his hand of love, he grasped us and drew us out of the pit, cleaned us up, stood us on our feet (on a rock, no less) and gave us a totally new life.

David describes this in Psalm 40: 1-3.

I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.


As the great old hymn puts it:

From sinking sand he lifted me.
With his own hand he lifted me.

No comments: